Servings: 4Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
1 medium onion, chopped
4 Tbs vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 lb ground beef
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 (14-15 oz) can diced tomatoes in juice
1 (14-15 oz) can corn, drained
2/3 C yellow cornmeal
1/3 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 C milk
1 large egg
2 oz grated cheddar (1/2 C plus 2 Tbs) or more, depending on your cheese addiction level
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil 9 1/2 inch pie plate or casserole dish (6 cup capacity)
– Cook onion over medium heat in skillet using 2 Tbs oil until edges are golden, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add beef and cook, stirring and breaking up lumps, until no longer pink, approx 5 minutes.
– Add sugar, spices and 1 tsp salt. Stir thoroughly and cook 1 min.
– Add corn and tomatoes with juice and simmer briskly, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup, approx 10 minutes
– While beef simmers, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and remaining 1/4 tsp salt in medium bowl. In separate small bowl, whisk together milk, egg and remaining 2 Tbs oil. Stir wet mix into cornmeal mix until just combined. Fold in 1/2 cup cheese.
– Spoon cooked spiced beef mix into baking dish. Spoon 4 mounds of cornbread batter over beef, then sprinkle remaining 2 Tbs cheese over batter.
– Bake in oven on middle rack at 400 degrees for 15-25 minutes until a pick inserted into center of cornbread comes out clean.
Submitted by: farmershae on June 5, 2010