Servings: 1Prep Time: 2 Cook Time: 5-7 days
a clean glass jar ( I use 24oz apple sauce jar from Trader Joe’s)
clean water (purified or bottled water, tap water ok, don’t use alkaline water)
organic raisin (almost any kind of dry fruits work but raisin’s yeast is strong, I prefer green raisin)
1. Put a handful of raisins in the jar. (*about 3-4 Tbsp. when you put more fruits it will be done sooner)
2. pour water to fill 80% of the jar.
3. loosely close the jar.
4. leave it at room temperature.
5. wait for few days until small bubbles surface and smells like wine.
(almost all raisins should be floating by this time)
(It would be done in about 3 days in summer, 6-7 days in winter.)
If you don’t have enough amount of one kind of dry fruit, you can mix several kinds such as raisin, apricot, apple or cranberry.
6. once it’s done, store it in refrigerator.
Now you have your own natural yeast water for baking!
Submitted by: jghardie on November 30, 2010