Servings: 6Prep Time: 60 min Cook Time: 30
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chilled lard or Crisco
or combination 1/4 cup Crisco and 1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup ice water
2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
1 1/2 cups of sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon of heavy cream
1. In a medium bowl, combine dry indgreients. Cut in fat until mixture resembles a coarse meal. With a fork, stir in 1/4 cup ice water, 1 tbsp. at a time, until dough barely holds together. Add 1 or 2 tbsp. more if dough is still dry. Knead 3 times and gather into a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a well floured surface roll dough into a 9 inch circle. Press into pie pan and bake for 15 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, toss the rhubarb with 1 cup sugar. Let sit until fruit has released its juices, about 1 hour. Strain, reserving juice.
4. To make custard, beat eggs with cream and remaining sugar. Stir in rhubarb juice.
5. Scatter rhubarb on crust and pour in custard. Bake until custard is set, but still loose, about 30 minutes. Do NOT overbake.
Submitted by: mafong on April 30, 2012