Servings: 8Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour
1/2 cup Olive Oil, plus more for pan
1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Yellow Cornmeal
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
Finely grated zest of 1 orange, lemon
2 Large Eggs
1 cup Sugar, plus 1/3 cup for topping
1/2 cup Liquid – Orange Juice or Lemon Juice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush bottom and sides of an 8-inch round cake pan or pie plate with oil; cut a circle (measure pan) out of waxed paper, place on the bottom of the pan and brush with oil. (Do this step or it will stick to the pan)
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and orange zest. In a smaller bowl, mix together oil, eggs, 1 cup sugar, and the orange juice. Add to the flour mixture and fold in.
3. Pour batter into your pan; sprinkle with 1/3 cup of sugar – it will be thick. Don’t worry.
4. Bake for approx 35-40 minutes. Check to see if it’s done with a toothpick.
5. Cool for 20 minutes. Loosen by running a knife along edges. Put a plate upside-down on top of cake and invert cake. Invert again onto a wire rack. (The sugar should be on top) Allow to fully cool.
Submitted by: farmkat on June 9, 2011