Servings: 20Prep Time: 30 Cook Time: 35
• 1 1/2 compressed yeast cakes or 1 1/2 envelope dry yeast
• 1/4 cup lukewarm water
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 cup milk
• 1/4 lb butter (REAL butter only)
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3-4 cups sifted flour
• 1/4 lb butter
1. Soften yeast in lukewarm water.
2. Stir in sugar.
3. Scald milk, add the first 1/4 pound butter and let it melt in milk.
4. When milk is lukewarm, stir in beaten eggs and yeast mixture.
5. Add salt.
6. Beat flour in gradually with a wooden spoon, adding enough to make a soft dough.
7. Transfer to a greased bowl and let rise in warm place until double in bulk.
8. After double, melt remaining 1/4 pound butter in shallow pan.
9. Divide dough in 2 portions for easier handling.
10. Roll out 1 at a time on lightly floured area to 1/2 inches thickness.
11. Cut into diamond shapes, approximately 3 inches (I use a pizza cutter- much easier!).
12. Dip each piece of dough in melted butter and lay in a 10 inches mold or 1 piece angel food cake pan, with points overlapping.
13. Finish same procedure with second half of dough.
14. Let rise until light, about 1 hour.
15. Preheat oven to 400*.
16. Bake bread about 35 minutes or until nicely brown and done.
17. To serve, turn out while warm on serving plate and serve to be separated at table.
Submitted by: prayingpup on October 10, 2010