Servings: 6Prep Time: 20 Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min
3 lbs ground chuck or sirloin (the less fat the better)
1 large onion diced
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup crushed saltine crackers
1 cup ketchup
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
Amounts are approximate as I normally put in what “looks” right.. lol
1. In large bowl mix all ingredients. I have tried my best to do this with a heavy spoon. If you want it done right wash your hands and mix it with your hands.
2. Once ingredients have been thoroughly mixed, empty contents on large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil and form into a loaf. Don’t make the loaf too thick.
3. Liberally cover the top of the loaf with more ketchup.
4. Carefully enclose the loaf with the foil. The tighter you can make the seams the better. Bring the ends of the foil together above the loaf and start folding down until you get almost to the loaf. Then roll in the ends. If the foil leaks the meatloaf will dry out.
5. Place on a cooking sheet and place in a 350 degree oven.
6. Bake for approx a hour and 20 minutes.
7. If you want to brown the top of the meatloaf you can partially open the top of the foil after an hour and back in the oven the final 20 minutes.
*If you want you can mix a cup of ketchup with a quarter cup of brown sugar for the topping.
**Cooking time simply depends on the oven. I have cooked my meatloaf in my daughter’s oven the same time it would be done in my oven and have to put it back in for another half hour.
Submitted by: glennp on December 13, 2010