Servings: approx 3 dzPrep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 12 to 15 minutes
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks ) butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup dried figs
½ cup dried dates, pitted
½ cup raisins
3/4 cup whole almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brandy
1 1/2 tsp orange zest
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbs cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Dough: Cream butter. Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla; beat until creamy. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add the creamed mixture and knead will; slowly add milk during the kneading process.
2. Filling: Grind figs, dates and raisins. Add spices and nuts to the ground fig mixture. Mix the honey and brandy to the ground mixture until the mixture is thoroughly wett.
3. Cut the dough into 4 pieces. Roll out each piece of dough. Cut the dough into 4 by 3-inch rectangles. Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling down the center of each rectangle. Fold the long sides of each rectangle inward to the center to enclose the filling; pinch the edges to seal. Turn rolls seam-sides down and press gently to flatten seams. Cut logs crosswise with a floured knife into 1 1/2-inch-wide slices and arrange 1/2 inch apart on buttered large baking sheets.
4. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes in a 190 C (375 F) oven.
5. Frost with icing: mix 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and enough milk (about 1 ½ tablespoons) to make of spreading consistency Sprinkle with small multicolored decorative candies.
Submitted by: keelenorth on May 5, 2010